This article provides information about running SyncBack from an external storage device, e.g. USB flash memory, external hard drive, etc.
Fresh Installation / Upgrade Installation
If you want a fresh installation of SyncBack on an external device, or want to upgrade an existing installation on an external device, then simply download the "No Install" version and unzip it onto your external device (overwriting your existing files if you are upgrading).
Download the "No Install" version of SyncBackPro:
Download the "No Install" version of SyncBackSE:
Download the "No Install" version of SyncBackLite (32-bit only):
Download the "No Install" version of SyncBackFree (32-bit only):
Downloading Older Versions
For the older No Install versions visit the legacy downloads page:
Note that technical support for V6 and earlier has officially ended. Support for V7 ends 1st December 2017. We do not guarantee to maintain these links indefinitely.
If you want to migrate (or copy) an existing installation on your desktop/laptop to an external storage device:
- Create a folder on your removable storage device, e.g. X:\SyncBack\
- Run SyncBack on your desktop/laptop and export all your profiles (press Ctrl-A then selection Profiles -> Export Profile from the main menu).
- Select Preferences -> Options from the main menu. Go to the Expert tab and click on the path shown in the box title Settings are stored here. This will open Windows File Explorer. Copy the settings.ini file to the folder you created on your removable storage device in step 1.
- Exit SyncBack
- Copy the entire SyncBack folder (e.g. C:\Program Files\2BrightSparks\SyncBackSE\) to the folder on your removable storage device you created in step 1. Do not overwrite the settings.ini file you copied in step 3.
- Run SyncBack on your removable storage device (from the folder you created in step 1).
- Select Preferences -> Options from the main menu. Go to the Expert tab and change the Put new, imported, and copied profile settings files into... setting to Automatic or The same directory as the program. You may also want to switch off automatic profile backup or change the folder they are backed up to as appropriate. Click OK.
- Select Preferences -> Log Settings from the main menu. You may need to change the folder the log files are stored in, e.g. store them in the folder %THISPATH% which will put them in the same folder as the executable.
- Import the profiles you exported in step 2. Import your non-group profiles first, and import your group profiles last.