This error may occur when copying open/locked files and the files and the system is overloaded. The possible solutions are:
- This error may occur if you have other profiles running at the same time and they are also copying locked/open files
- Close any unnecessary programs, or pause them
- Defragment the partition the locked files are on: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/17126
By default SyncBackLite/SE/Pro will wait a maximum of 5 minutes to be able to copy open/locked files from a drive. It is possible to change the amount of time to wait:
- Run SyncBackLite/SE/Pro
- Select Preferences -> Options from the main menu and go to the Expert tab
- Click on the path inside the group-box with the title The settings are stored here. A Windows File Explorer window will open.
- Exit SyncBackLite/SE/Pro now (it is vital that you now exit SyncBackLite/SE/Pro, otherwise any changes made after this will not be saved)
- In the Windows File Explorer window double-click on the file settings.ini
- Go to the end of the file and add the following line:
- Save the file and exit the editor. Now run SyncBackLite/SE/Pro.
- It will now wait 6 minutes for the VSS DLL to become available. The VSSSleep value is the number of milliseconds, so if you wanted it to wait 7 minutes, for example, you would set it to 420000
If you are still getting the same error then consider modifying the registry to tell Windows to use a larger area of the drive for VSS use:
- First, read the Microsoft KB article on this: https://support.microsoft.com/en-sg/help/925799
- Run the Windows registry editor (regedit.exe)
- Navigate to the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VolSnap\
- Modify (or create) the DWORD value MinDiffAreaFileSize
- The default size is 300 and the maximum is 3000. This is the minimum size (in megabytes) to use on a drive for VSS.
Microsoft also recommends that the Windows event logs are kept below 64MB in size. You can clear them, or set their maximum size, using the Event Viewer in Windows.