Error Message – “Multiple Connection to a server or shared resource by the same user”
While connecting to a network drive using SyncBack, you may receive an error message that says:
“Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again”
This is a Windows error. Windows does not allow multiple concurrent connections to the same network 'server' resource from the same 'client' machine with more than one set of credentials. It is necessary to drop the original connection to that network resource before establishing a new connection to it using different credentials.
If you encounter such an error message, here are some possible workarounds:
1. Use the IP address of the remote server (instead of the hostname) in the UNC paths, when connecting to the network share.
For example: \\IP_Address\folder\
As explained in this Microsoft article.
2. Try releasing any existing connections to the network share by using the command “net use”.
- From the command prompt, run “net use”
- Delete existing connections to the backup location using the command:
“net use /delete \\ServerName\FolderName”
- Re-run “net use” command and verify the connection is gone
You can refer to this link for additional details.
3. Restart the “Workstation” service on the machine where SyncBack is installed. The "Workstation" service manages shared resource connections. Restarting the service will force a release of the network connection. However, note that there might be multiple dependent services, so if you are on a Production server then schedule the restart during the non-business hours.
- Start > Run > type services.msc and click OK
- Locate Workstation service > right click and select Stop
- After the service is stopped, select the Workstation service > right click and select Start
- Once the service is started, close the services window
4. Restart the Backup device/remote server.
5. Restart the Server/PC where SyncBack is installed.