SyncBack Touch (SBT) is a cross-platform service that works with SyncBackPro or SyncBackSE to remotely access a device’s file system (that runs on Windows, Linux, macOS or Android) in order to perform backup/restore and sync operations.
Each licensed copy of SyncBackPro (or SyncBackSE) comes with 2 free connections to 2 SyncBack Touch devices. If required, you can purchase additional SyncBack Touch connection licenses to backup other Windows, Linux, macOS or Android devices. For additional information, refer to SyncBack Touch guide.
SyncBack Management System
SyncBack Management system (SBM service and SBM console) can be used to manage and monitor remote installations of SyncBackPro. Note that SyncBackSE is not supported with SBMS.
With SBMS you can:
- Control what users can do with SyncBackPro, e.g. stop users from creating their own profiles or updating the existing profiles
- Ensure that the profiles are being run on all the computers and track their results and run history
- Remotely manage SyncBackPro profiles, e.g. pushing profile templates to connected clients
- Remotely control SyncBack Touch licenses
For further details, refer to SBMS guide.
Using SBMS as the License Manager for SyncBack Touch
You can use SyncBack Touch with SBMS for licensing. Only SyncBackPro can connect to SyncBack Touch devices that are using SBMS for licensing (SyncBackSE is not supported).
When using SBMS as the license manager for SyncBack Touch, the 2 free connections are activated upon registration of a SBT license in SBMS (that means you have to purchase a Touch license and register it in SBMS to activate the 2 complementary connections). For more information, refer to SyncBack Touch licensing article.
Configuring SyncBack Touch to connect to SBMS
Assuming you have SBMS installed, this section details the configuration steps required to connect SyncBack Touch to SBMS so it can verify SBT licenses before performing backup, restore or synchronization.
Configure SBMS hostname or I.P. address in SBT
Define the SBMS hostname or I.P. address in SyncBack Touch to verify the license information:
1. When installing SyncBack Touch on Windows or Linux PC, install it via the command line specifying the SBMS hostname (or I.P. address) as a command line parameter.
Open a command prompt window (cmd.exe), change directory to the folder containing the SyncBack Touch installer file and enter:
Replace the “hostname” with the hostname or I.P. address of the SyncBack Management Service. Make sure the hostname is wrapped in double-quotes. For example:
Alternatively, if Touch is already installed on Windows on Linux and if you are able to connect to it from SyncBackPro, then you can directly enter the SBMS hostname (or I.P. address) in the profile under:
Modify > Expert > SyncBack Touch settings page > click on Configure button > enter the SBMS hostname or I.P. address
2. For SyncBack Touch on Android or macOS, you can enter the SBMS hostname (or I.P. address) under:
SyncBack Touch App > Settings > Network > 'SBMS host name' option
Create a new user in SBMS and enter the credentials in SyncBackPro
Create a new user account in SBMS to allow SyncBack Touch to login and connect to SBM server
1. Run SBM Console and login to SBM service
2. Go to Services tab > click on 'Users' button and create a new user to connect from SBT
For more information on configuring Users, please refer to the Users section in the SBM Console Help file.
3. Create a new profile in SyncBackPro (via New > Profile wizard) and enter SBMS username and password credentials (created in step 2) in “SyncBack Touch Connection details” page.
For existing profiles, you can update the username and password credentials under:
Modify > Expert > SyncBack Touch settings page
Note: Only SBMS users with admin role can configure/change any settings in SyncBack Touch.
Register a SyncBack Touch license in SBMS
When using SBMS as the license manager for SyncBack Touch, the 2 free connections are activated upon registration of SBT license in SBMS (that means you have to purchase a Touch license and register it in SBMS to get the 2 complementary connections).
SBT license can be registered from the SBM Console:
1. Run SBM Console and login to SBM Console
2. Go to Services tab > click on 'Register Serial Number' button and enter the serial number
For more information on registering SBT serial numbers, please refer to the Register Serial Number section of SBM Console Help file.
Businesses/commercial licensees are recommended to use SyncBack Touch with SBMS for security and licensing as it is easier to register and manage licenses on a centralized system. You can configure SBMS and SyncBack Touch as explained in this article to allow SBT to connect to SBM service and verify the SBT licenses before performing backup, restore or synchronization.