SyncBackSE/Pro Major Version Upgrades Explained
Version 10 of SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE represents a major upgrade.
There is a modest upgrade cost to licensees who purchased a license some time ago. This article details the qualification for some existing licensees to upgrade freely, and also why the charge is being made.
Existing customers may check their eligibility for an upgrade using the following link:
Licensees of SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE have continued to enjoy thousands of new features, updates and fixes:
SyncBackPro V10 Upgrades
SyncBackPro Version 10 is a free upgrade for all customers who purchased a full or upgrade license on or after 1st September 2021 and those with active Upgrade Assurance on 1st October 2021.
The following upgrade prices apply to those who purchased a license before 1st September 2021. This may apply to you if you have paid for multiple licenses over a long period (volume discounts also apply):
Upgrading from earlier versions of SyncBackPro
- SyncBackPro V9 to SyncBackPro V10: US$30.00
- SyncBackPro V8 (and earlier) to SyncBackPro V10: US$35.00
Upgrading from SyncBackSE
- SyncBackSE V10 to SyncBackPro V10: US$25.00
- SyncBackSE V9 to SyncBackPro V10: US$35.00
- SyncBackSE V8 (and earlier) to SyncBackPro V10: US$45.00
SyncBackSE V10 Upgrades
SyncBackSE Version 10 is a free upgrade for all customers who purchased a license on or after 1st September 2021 and those with active Upgrade Assurance on 1st October 2021.
The following upgrade prices apply to those who purchased a license before 1st September 2021 or do not have an active subscription on 1st October 2021. This may apply to you if you have paid for multiple licenses over a long period (volume discounts also apply):
- SyncBackSE V9 to SyncBackSE V10: US$20.00
- SyncBackSE V8 (and earlier) to SyncBackSE V10: US$25.00
Customers upgrading to SyncBackSE/Pro V10 will have the opportunity to purchase the optional Upgrade Assurance plan, which is a subscription service. Upgrade Assurance subscribers will get free upgrades for new major version releases and extended priority support.
Visit our Upgrade Assurance article page for more info. For Upgrade Assurance pricing, please visit our web-store.
Do I have to upgrade?
No. Although licensees will be advised to upgrade to the latest version, there is no requirement to do so. All existing licensees of SyncBackSE and SyncBackPro will continue to enjoy the benefits of version they purchased indefinitely if they so wish. However, technical support for older versions will not be provided.
V10 licensees will get 3 months free basic support. Upgrade Assurance subscription is required for additional support after the free support period. All Version 10 licensees will get minor updates free of charge: review the frequency of updates.
Support for V9 will officially end on 4th April 2022. You may also read our Support Policy.
Why charge for the upgrade?
Here are a few of the many reasons why we believe a modest fee to upgrade is justified:
- V10 offers substantive advantages over previous versions.
- We continue to invest thousands of man hours actively developing and supporting SyncBackPro, SyncBackSE and SyncBack Touch with new features, updates, and fixes. View V10 page to see what is new in V10.
- We pay for powerful new components that extend the programs.
- We pay for additional services every month. These services support SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE users. For example our site allows free downloads of the latest version (server costs), our store allows users to pay for additional licenses, and our mailing list allows users to be informed about the latest updates and provides advice about how to get the best from their software (mailing list service provider).
In other words, when users purchase a license of our software, they also enjoy ongoing support of the software product through the site, hundreds of updated articles, a free and open forum, and 3 months support ticketing via email.
We hope you therefore agree that a modest charge for an upgrade is both fair and reasonable.
I am using old version but would like to try V10. Can I?
Yes, but note that you cannot have old version and V10 installed at the same time. When you install V10 it will upgrade your existing installation (including its profiles and settings) and make a backup* of your original profiles and settings in case you later want to go back to using old version. You then have 30 days to evaluate V10.
After trying V10, if you decide not to upgrade, then you can uninstall V10 and install old version (you must install the latest version (e.g. V22.214.171.124) of the major version (e.g. V9) from our Legacy Downloads page). When the latest version is installed it will restore* your original settings and profiles. Older version (e.g. V126.96.36.199) of the major version (V9) do not know anything about V10 and so will not know how to restore your original profiles and settings. This is why you must install the latest version of V9 (or earlier) to ensure your profiles and settings are restored in the event you want to roll back.
If you are a SyncBackSE/Pro V9 (or older version) user and wants to evaluate 64-bit of V10, please make sure that you do not have the 32-bit versions of SyncBackSE or SyncBackPro installed at the same time as the 64-bit versions, and vice-versa. To evaluate SyncBackSE/Pro V10 64-bit, you should export your profiles from the 32-bit version, uninstall it, install the 64-bit version and then import your profiles. If you choose not to upgrade, you can roll back to your older version by performing the above steps in reverse.
* The default backup location of your profiles will be a subfolder called "SyncBackProVX Backup" or "SyncBackSEVX Backup" (where X is the major SyncBack version number, e.g. SyncBackProV9 Backup or SyncBackSEV9 Backup) inside your '(My) Documents' folder (the full path\location of which is detected from your Windows configuration). There is an opportunity during the V10 install to change this to a custom location instead. If you do so, and then re-install older version, it is your responsibility to remember what that custom location that you chose was, and to 'point' to it.